BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Homesick

I know most of my blogs have had "Japan is Wacky and Weird" and/or "Wonderful and Exciting" themes, but I would be lying if I said that every day is filled with wonder and awe.

I have a touch of homesickness today. I miss Charleston, the beach, English TV programs, Target, palm trees, Sonic, Taco Bell, sports bars and a dozen other small and ridiculous things. I had a dream last night that I went to Target to buy a computer game and I was kind of sad when I woke up and realized I was in Japan. Quite random.

There are other teachers who have been here for two, three, eight years or more, and I just can't imagine staying here that long. Almost all of the guy teachers who came to Japan single (and some who did not) have Japanese girlfriends. Maybe that's one reason they stay so long, although there are girls who stay awhile as well. My husband and I are definitely not staying longer than one year. We are just approaching month 3 of 12, so I'd best get my act together.

However, it is nearing that time of month, so maybe it's PMS rather than homesickness that's causing this melancholy. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Ahh.. homesickness happens. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Funny thing is, I found when I did go back "home", I got homesick for Japan ;)

Erin said...

I think it is perfectly normal to have homesickness!! You're used to a certain way of life, and when it changes you start missing things you may not have even taken advantage of when you were here. It takes a lot of courage to travel half way accross the world to teach and do something you love. Enjoy it knowing you will be home in 9 short months!!