BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 2, 2007

Japanese Memaws

Although I spent the last two years in South Carolina, I grew up in Oklahoma and consider it my homestate. A surprising number of my Japanese students have heard of Oklahoma. Well, at least I think they have. When I ask students if they've heard of it, many smile and nod, but it's hard to tell if they understand what I'm asking or if they're just pretending to. I have my suspicions. In any case, I've been making Oklahoma sound like it has nothing more than cowboys, country music and rodeos, which was my pet peeve when I lived there, but for some reason I always find myself saying yee-haw and making lasso movements when I talk about the state. I just can't help myself.

Yesterday I taught a lesson about family members, and in it we discussed different names for grandmothers. For example, granny, nana, grandma, etc. I went a step further and taught them the word mewaw, which is quite hilarious in my opinion. My third cousins call their grandma memaw and I've heard one or two other Oklahomans do the same, but obviously my students had never heard of it. I told them it's a country thing, and as far as they know everyone in Oklahoma uses the word memaw and listens to country music. Good times. I've also manged to incorporate werewolves, ghosts and other paranormal things into my lessons (it's easier than you think), so who knows what other gems I'll be able to teach the Japanese. If just one Japanese student calls his or her grandmother memaw or is able to speak freely about werewolves and haunted places, then all the hours of lessons are worth it! :-)

Has anyone else heard or used the word memaw?

6 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

I love that word! That's some fine teaching skills you've got going there.

I think you should teach them the word "cattywompus." Never too early to learn that word.

Pat said...

I've heard people in Kentucky and southeastern Ohio call their grandmothers "Memaw". Kinda funny when a grown man says it. Wonder what I'll think of my grandson calling me "NaNa" when he's grown!?!

Like the fish whisperer idea.

Nice blog, BTW. I've been enjoying reading about your adventure. Gutsy move. I'd probably starve.

Erin said...

I don't personally have a memaw but 3 of my friends do. 2 are from NC and one is from RI, but her family is from the midwest. I think nowadays you can call your grandparents pretty much anything you want and get away with it, lol... but I do like the name! I just had a grandma and grandpa, my son has a Nanny (she thought Nana sounded too pretentious, and grandma too old, so years ago with her first grandchild she came up with Nanny)

Sweet, Savory, Sometimes.... said...

Memaw is actually quite common where I come from where it is often associated with rural folk.
By the way, who is Memaw married too? Why PawPaw of course!

Anonymous said...

I really want to move to Japan. I am learning Japanese at the moment, but I don't really know how to do it. I don't suppose you could email me and let me know how you got to Japan and stuff. thanks a lot.

Sean.

Neilsdead@hotmail.com

Virginia Belle said...

i have! i don't use it in my family, but i know people who do.

i think it's a southern/country thing.

this blog makes me want to do what you did--just pick up and go teach somewhere. only, i am not so big on japanese food, so i'd probably want to go to a country w/yummier food.

thailand.....or italy....or greece...


MMMMM......