BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Weird Stuff I Found in Japan

Before I even thought of moving to Japan, I loved to visit sites like Engrish.com to see photos of humorous English mistakes or just plain weird sentences. Little did I know that I'd one day be in Japan to see examples for myself! Some of the stuff on that site is hilarious! I can't wait to amass a large collection of wacky Engrish clothing to wear back in the States. As of yet, I've only found one funny thing myself and that is the children's fork below. Take a look at the company name.



Apparently, Lube Sheep is a company in Japan that produces children's eating utensils. I've seen other forks by the same company, but this is the only one I've found with the name on the instrument itself. I can't help but wonder why they chose the name. I mean, Lube Sheep?! What the hell? And don't ask me what Putifresh means. A friend of mine in Oklahoma is having a baby girl soon, and she will be the proud owner of this Lube Sheep fork.

Although the product below is not an example of Engrish, it's just as strange. Maybe stranger. Behold, the Afro Boy 2way Door Stopper!



Yes, that's right, 2 way! One can simply remove the afro and use it to prevent the door from closing...



Or, place the little man under the door so that he prevents it from opening. How wacky and whimsical and utterly un-pc!



I can hardly imagine the uproar this product would cause in the United States or other countries. I've heard that the Japanese can be very racist, especially against black people, although I'm not black myself so I couldn't say for sure. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Afro Boy 2way Door Stopper.

5 comments:

Mister Scott said...

the more you (and others) share about the foreign consumer culture, the more i begin to realize, that i, as an american, am not the only one part of this bizarre consumer cult of weird junk--now its not a wholly american trait--it's gone global! this kind of stuff is facinating and i appreciate your sharing it.

take care!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Hehehe.. I use my Lube Sheep chopsticks and chopstick case at work everyday! Love them!

Webmiztris said...

neat! Now I suddenly want one even though I have no need for it whatsoever. :D

Virginia Belle said...

WOW. those are some very strange objects indeed.

puti-fresh? tee hee.

i wonder what they find strange over here.....

Anonymous said...

Das glaubst du ja selbst nicht