BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Asian City That Never Sleeps

Yesterday my husband and I each got emails informing us that our tentative departure date for Japan is February 13th. Yipeeee!! If we meet this departure date, I'll spend my 27th birthday there which should make it fun and rather memorable. I can't even remember what I did for my birthday last year. In any case, our port of entry is Narita, near Tokyo, which means we will be living and working somewhere in North/East Japan. That still leaves a huge area for potential assignments, but at least we can eliminate approximately half of the country. We won't actually know our city, town or village assignment until two weeks before we leave, which I'm sure will drive us crazy. My husband is set on Tokyo, but I don't want to get my hopes up because I don't think we'll get it. I'd feel like hot shit if we did though, and if we could live successfully in Tokyo I wouldn't feel intimated by any city or place ever again. The next time I heard some arrogant New Yorker talking about how you have to be special to make it in New York City (implying us hillbillies in Charleston or Oklahoma City or wherever would never last), I'd be able to think, or say, "Screw you, we lived in Tokyo for a year." Not that I hate New Yorkers, it's just a pet peeve of mine when they behave as if they are superior, same with L.A. folk. Okay, enough of that rant. I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

Wow, that's really exciting!

Virginia Belle said...

So. Cool.

can i live vicariously through you? i've always wanted to live in a foreign contry. maybe i should do it.....i love teaching. i love traveling...what's not to love?

besides, i hate my job!