BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 4, 2007

Earthquake II

There was another small earthquake today. I was teaching my first lesson with my private students, when the room started to tremble. This time the tremors lasted about twenty seconds or so. I think I noticed them more this time because I was in a traditional, wooden Japanese style home, rather than a modern apartment building. Ironically, the earthquake started about three minutes after I told the students how quakes scare me. They looked a little concerned when things began to tremble, and chattered to each other in Japanese. I guess I looked alarmed, because one of them told me not to worry. Afterwards, they told me it was a 2 or 3.0 quake.

Again, I know small quakes are nothing to Japanese people, but as my last entry states, I have a feeling there is going to be a big earthquake in our area. Maybe it's because I had a dream a few days ago that I was in a huge one, or maybe it's because the idea of the earth shifting is so foreign to me. It's such an odd feeling to feel the earth tremble.

Now I know it's common for a series of small tremors to occure after a significant earthquake, but does it also work in reverse? Do small tremors often occur before big ones? My husband felt a small quake a few days ago when he was at work, and then there was the one today. If a big quake does happen I hope I'm not alone. It would totally suck to be stranded in a Japanese city, miles from home, with no way to communicate or call my husband.

I sure am paranoid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be an earthquake veteran in no time. I wouldn't worry too much about quakes. I've been through several 6.0 ones in Tokyo and it was alright.

They've been predicting the "big one" for years and still nothing.

Erin said...

Damn that's scary. This is also coming from an east coast girl who has never felt an earthquake... I think I'd be as freaked out as you!!